Tuvan Throat Singers Bring Unusual Musical Sounds to MLS Libraries
What is throat singing? If you’ve never heard it, it is nearly impossible to imagine.
The Metropolitan Library System takes pleasure in presenting Huun Huur Tu, Tuvan Throat Singers in a series of nine concerts at nine libraries. The first program will be on Sunday, November 9, and the last on Friday, November 14. See below for a complete schedule of times and locations.
Huun Huur Tu is a quartette from Tuva, a republic in southern Siberia, populated by a mere 150,000 Turkic people. Throat singing is native to the area, and it has been described this way:
“Try to imagine an instrument plucked like a guitar with a series of deep, droning throat solos which evolves into a three-tone whistling drone. If you didn’t see it yourself, it’d be easy to think overdubbing was involved. You can scarcely believe the three notes could drone simultaneously from a single throat—but they do.”
“Huun Huur Tu’s songs are reminders of the natural sounds of their homeland,” said MLS Director of Outreach Services Dana Morrow. “When they perform, audiences see the mountains and hear the wind and the beasts.
“’Unique’ is a word that gets tossed around a lot, but there is no other way to describe the sound of Huun Huur Tu.”
The Tuvan Throat Singer concerts are:
- Sunday, November 9 at 2:00pm, Downtown Library, 300 Park Avenue
- Monday, November 10 at 10:30am, Del City Library, 4509 SE 15th
- Monday, November 10 at 7:00pm, Belle Isle Library, 5501 N. Villa
- Tuesday, November 11 at 1:30pm, Southern Oaks Library, 6900 S. Walker
- Tuesday, November 11 at 7:00pm, Bethany Library, 3510 N. Mueller
- Thursday, November 13 at 10:30am, Edmond Library, 10 S. Boulevard
- Thursday, November 13 at 7:00pm, Midwest City Library, 8143 E. Reno
- Friday, November 14 at 10:30am, The Village Library, 10307 N. Pennsylvania
- Friday, November 14 at 1:30pm, Warr Acres Library, 5901 NW 63rd
Huun Huur Tu is co-sponsored by the National Endowment for the Arts, the Oklahoma Arts Council, and the Friends of the Metropolitan Library System.
The Metropolitan Library System of Oklahoma County includes 12 libraries and five extension libraries. Libraries include Belle Isle, Capitol Hill, Ralph Ellison, Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library and Southern Oaks in Oklahoma City, as well as Bethany, Choctaw, Del City, Edmond, Midwest City, Village and Warr Acres. Extensions are located in the communities of Harrah, Jones, Luther and Nicoma Park and include Wright Library in Oklahoma City. You can also reach us at www.metrolibrary.org.