Latino Band Son del Barrio
In Series of Concerts at MLS Libraries
From Carmen Miranda to Selena Quintanilla, from Xavier Cugat to Carlos Santana music with a Latin flare has been popular in the United States.
Now the Metropolitan Library System is sprinkling a little salsa on your musical taste buds with Son del Barrio—Sound of the Neighborhood—in a series of ten performances at MLS locations around Oklahoma County. The concert series begins on Sunday, October 3 and runs through Saturday, October 10. All performances are free and open to the public.
Son del Barrio specializes in salsa, meringue, and cumbia music. Listen and watch their video for Basta!
“While the whole world is tuning its ear to the musical showcase of the Caribbean and Latin America,” said MLS Director of Outreach Services Dana Morrow, “Oklahoma is not being left behind. Salsa and meringue are two musical genres that have gained a lot of popularity in the Sooner State over the past few years among Latinos and non-Latinos alike, dancers, and college students.”
The rhythms of this music are hypnotic and lively. The melodies and the passion are impossible to ignore.
Son del Barrio will be performing in library locations on this schedule:
- Downtown Library, 300 Park Avenue (231-8650) Sunday, October 3, 2:00p.m.
- Warr Acres Library, 5901 N.W. 63rd (721-2616) Monday, Oct. 4, 1:00p.m.
- Ralph Ellison Library, 2000 N.E. 23rd (424-1437) Monday, Oct. 4, 6:30p.m.
- The Village Library, 10307 N. Pennsylvania (755-0710) Tuesday, Oct. 5, 1:00p.m.
- Capitol Hill Library, 334 S.W. 16th (634-6308) Tuesday, Oct. 5, 6:30p.m.
- Southern Oaks Library, 6900 S. Walker (631-4468) Wednesday, Oct. 6, 1:00p.m.
- Midwest City Library, 8143 E. Reno (732-4828) Wednesday, Oct. 6, 7:00p.m.
- Choctaw Library, 2525 Muzzy Street (390-8418) Thursday, Oct. 7, 6:00p.m.
- Del City Library, 4509 S.E. 15th (672-1377) Friday, Oct. 8, 11:00a.m.
- Belle Isle Library, 5501 N. Villa (843-9601) Saturday, Oct. 9, 2:00p.m.
For more information about this or any Metropolitan Library System program, visit the MLS website, www.metrolibrary.org.
The Metropolitan Library System of Oklahoma County includes 12 libraries and five extension libraries. Libraries include Belle Isle, Capitol Hill, Ralph Ellison, Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library and Southern Oaks in Oklahoma City, as well as Bethany, Choctaw, Del City, Edmond, Midwest City, Village and Warr Acres. Extensions are located in the communities of Harrah, Jones, Luther and Nicoma Park and include Wright Library in Oklahoma City. You can also reach us at www.metrolibrary.org.